[meteorite-list] Leonids From Virginia

From: Greg Redfern <gredfern_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:16 2004

Hi Jeff,

   I think we saw the same head on Leonid as I am in Fairfax county
also....mine was in Leo proper and winked on and off. I counted 253 Leonids
from 0430 to 0605, under clear skies and 28 deg F, with approximately 60%
sky coverage and a LM of about 4.0. I saw 5 at once and several other pairs
and triples at 0540. many had nice trains but no trains lasted longer than a
few seconds. There were no fireballs, the brightest Leonid was about the
brightness of Jupiter. Extra pluses were the ISS soaring majestically
through Leo and the radiant, 3 satellites, a beautiful sporadic that went
from West to East, a nice contrast to the Leonids. The winter stars and
cavalcade of planets, illuminated by the Full Moon made for a wonderful
celestial experience. I am sure we are all covered in Leonid dust. Not the
storm of '66 but not a bad meteor viewing experience.

All the best,
Greg Redfern
IMCA #5781
www.meteoritecollectors.org