[meteorite-list] Report from Wyoming....is late

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:16 2004

Dear List;
After a couple more requests will post the late-Leonoid report from
Wyoming. I was hoping to let this report be as one with the leonoids,
and let it not appear either.
We had high clouds and a full moon at 9 pm. I had made plans to use the
convient moon roof to sit in the warm car with the heat on and look up
from the reclined leather seat at 7,800 feet up in the sky. Wrong!
The thin veil of clouds at 20-30,000 feet up were moving faster than the
unseen leonoids. The moon was so bright up here that I wouldn't have
needed headlights to see to drive. ...Clouds looked like a giant
shower curtain so, scratch, scratch, and a couple of Marge Simpson
groans and back in the house. It was hard to determine which was
brighter, the porch light or the moon!
I later attempted the same (and actually succeeded) this chain of
events at 3 am. No point in driving 10 miles out of town to see the
high clouds and magnificently bright moon. I saw 0 Leonoids. The moon
and clouds (and porch light) were quite interesting. The temperature was
28 degrees, surface winds from the North at 20 miles an hour. Next year
I construct a glow-in -the-dark kite to watch, and you guessed it, name
it leonoid.
...and that's the way it was, Monday, November eighteenth, 2002.
Dave Freeman reporting,
Rock Springs, Wyoming