[meteorite-list] shock help?

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:18 2004

Hi Tom and list

Well, we have a problem then, since basalts are basalts, here or there, and
they do come in varieties within varieties (a well traveled and studied
volcanologist can almost tell you which volcano a basalt came from from
close detailed inspection). So, what do you do, well, if theres a university
close by (community and junior colleges most likely won't have what you
need), you can check and see if they have a volcanologist on staff. Or find
a university close enough that you wouldn't mind sending it to them, and
insure yourself by cutting a slice of say 10-20 grams (maybe some of the
more practiced people on the list could help here) to send and donate to
them for study with the understanding that if it is a meteorite, you get
credit for finding it and they get it classified ect.
Lets revisit basalts a little to help you understand what they can or cannot
do. Most if not all basalts are lower in silica than rhyolites and
andesites, and are also lower in volatiles in composition as well. This
means that they almost never are "blown" out of the volcano/vent with any
great force, so they typically flow out (Hawaii and Iceland are like this,
little fountains, lots of lava flows, Hawaii is on a "hot spot" and Iceland
is on a spreading center). Rhyolites are inbetween basalts and andesites,
not as passive (if I may use that term loosely) as basalts and not as
explosive as andesites. They are rich in silica and are usually much lighter
in color than basalts and should be less dense too. Andesites are also rich
in silicates and volatiles and are they scenes of explosive and dramatic
eruptions (Mt Pinatubo, Mt St Helens ect). The only way a basalt can be
thrown a large distance (really, just about any distance beyond the crater)
is when it is "old" magma, ie it was from a earlier basaltic eruption and
happened to be caught up in a more recent rhyolitic or andesitic eruption
and then thrown far from the crater. When these "old" magma chunks are
caught up in such an eruption, they can be partially remelted (sometime they
aren't at all and you find these old magma chunks as clasts within a newer
lava), plasticized as it were, which allows for a little remolding of shape
and can be thrown miles away from a crater. But this isn't common, the
remelting as usually, the old material is up vent from much of the hot stuff
and is broken free on the erupting magmas journey up the vent and carried
out with it. This can leave a crusty appearance to it. It may have a
coating, as it were, of the newer material on it. But this would be lighter
in color, I should think, than the older basalt. It should also flake off if
it isn't "welded" to the old. You won't find free metal or chondrules in a
basalt from here on earth and I don't think that will change coming from the
moon or mars. Just too much differentation on all three bodies for that.
And, it will take a isotope measurment to distinguish it from a earthly
basalt if it doesn't resemble basalts from the region in which you found it.
Hope this helps, but I fear it just compounds the problem.
Mark