[meteorite-list] MERCURY HOPE?

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:18 2004

Hi Habibi, Hello List,

There is no ground truth for Mercury. In other words since there is no
sample collected from Mercury there is no way to compare O-isotopes with
meteorites to conclude an origin from Mercury.

I think a scientist might be willing to go out on a limb if the following
conditions were met:

1) It was pure anorthosite or some other combination that could only be
created on a planetary sized body and had a vastly different O-isotope
measurement than the Moon, Mars or Earth.
2) It had measurable CRE exposure.
3) It had a young crystallization age.
4) It had evidence of higher levels of exposure to the solar wind because of
its proximity to the sun.
5) It had no water-bearing or water-altered minerals such as pieces from
Mars.
6) It had a high level of shock, possible maskelynation of feldspars.

I have seen N3 and feel you need to wait for the all important O-isotopes
due out within a couple of weeks. If the Isotopes are anomalous then a
crystallization age must be determined and it has to meet several parameters
before any statement of origin can be made. N3 strongly reminds me of
Dhofar 378 on appearance alone. I think David Weirs site has an excellent
picture of this.

I hope it can be proven to be from Mercury. But with an estimated one in a
hundred chance compared to Martian finds, based on current models, this
would be an extremely difficult goal to achieve.

You have come up with other fantastic stones so who knows something
outrageous is bound to show up in your collection. When the O-isotopes
measurements are realized I hope you inform the list of the results. It
could prove to be pretty interesting.

Anyway, congratulations on such an interesting find!

All the best,

Adam Hupe