[meteorite-list] nickel test

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:57 2004

Hello All,
The process described below can result in some false positives. When
working with such a small test specimen, it is imperative you don't
contaminate it during handling or preparation. If you cut and polish
meteorites regularly, you will have an accumulation of dust in your work
area that contains nickel. Setting your specimen on a table or handling it
with contaminated gloves can introduce enough nickel to result in false
positive.

The proper spelling for the chemical being discussed here
is "Dimethylglyoxime" (2,3-Butanedione Dioxime).

Regards,

John Gwilliam