[meteorite-list] California Meteorite Display

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:57 2004

Hello all, especially those who reside in California,

Last night I ran across to TV program on the Los Angeles public broadcasting
station (PBS) titled "California's Gold". It's hosted by Huell Howser and is
a daily(?) half hour show about interesting places to visit in California.
Last nights episode was about the "California State Mining and Mineral
Museum" located in Mariposa, California (in the Sierra Nevada foothills near
Yosemite). It is run by the California State Parks system.

Most of the program was about the minerals and rocks displayed in the
museum. Of interest to us is a display of meteorites including the main mass
of the 128 pound (58 kilo) Ivanpah meteorite (called the San Bernardino
Meteorite in the show). Also shown was the Chilkoot, Alaska iron and a large
pallasite slice. I believe this meteorite display used to reside in the
Ferry Building in San Francisco. If so, the display should also include a
slice of the Goose Lake, CA iron and the pallasite probably is a large
Brenham slice.

All in all, the meteorite part was only on air for a couple of minutes but
it certainly seems like a good place to visit. And if you are interested in
minerals (especially the gold specimens) it's a definite must.

Regards,
Frank