[meteorite-list] NWA 1109 Howardite or Eucrite?

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:58 2004

Hello Matt, Hello List members,

NWA 1109 is currently being studied at the University of Washington not
UCLA. A final classification has not yet been released but will happen very
soon. NWA 1109 was provisionally called a eucrite by the University of
Washington and ourselves. To clear things up with list members who may not
be aware of the process provisional classifications mean nothing, it is only
an educated guess to reserve a serial number for future study. Until an
abstract is submitted and the Nomenclature Committee votes a classification
remains provisional. It looks like NWA 1109 may turn out to be a very
interesting and rare polymict eucrite with over 20 different basaltic
textures (sizes) incorporated and a huge array of accessory minerals. I do
not believe there is enough orthopyroxene(diogenite component) incorporated
to qualify it as a Howardite. The requirement is 10%. David Weirs web site
addresses this ratio in an excellent manner.

To add more confusion three stones were claimed under the provisional name
NWA 1109 and one of them may indeed be a howardite unpaired to the other two
stones. You can now see the importance of having a qualified scientist sort
these things out. If you compare images of howardites and polymict eucrites
you will see how hard they are to tell apart. Some have even been
reclassified after certification.

I hope this helps,

Adam Hupe
IMCA 2185