[meteorite-list] Sounds of the Bovedy fall

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:02 2004

--part1_161.15ee855e.2ae2e7dc_boundary

Hi List,

when I returned from the States on Thursday evening, there was a package
waiting for me containing an audio tape of the Bovedy meteorite fall. It's
pretty cool, so I thought you might want to hear it for yourselves.
It was recorded on 25th April 1969, in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland -
a woman was recording bird song just as the 5.4kg Bovedy (L3) meteorite fell,
and she caught the detonations through her microphone. The booms and
rumblings echo around for several seconds after the first detonation, and a
spooked dog starts to bark soon after (the Bovedy Dog??).

The fun starts at around 34 seconds into the track, which you can download at
http://fernlea.tripod.com/bovedy.wav

It's always nice to see what caused it, so here's a picture of my Bovedy
slice
http://fernlea.tripod.com/bovedy.jpg

Thanks to Derek Heatly and the Planetarium for the original recording!

Cheers,
Rob Elliott.
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
Mobile: 07909-773929
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com

--part1_161.15ee855e.2ae2e7dc_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Hi List,<BR>
<BR>
when I returned from the States on Thursday evening, there was a package waiting for me containing an audio tape of the Bovedy meteorite fall. It's pretty cool, so I thought you might want to hear it for yourselves.<BR>
It was recorded on 25th April 1969, in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland - a woman was recording bird song just as the 5.4kg Bovedy (L3) meteorite fell, and she caught the detonations through her microphone. The booms and rumblings echo around for several seconds after the first detonation, and a spooked dog starts to bark soon after (the Bovedy Dog??).<BR>
<BR>
The fun starts at around 34 seconds into the track, which you can download at<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/bovedy.wav<BR>
<BR>
It's always nice to see what caused it, so here's a picture of my Bovedy slice<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/bovedy.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Thanks to Derek Heatly and the Planetarium for the original recording!<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Rob Elliott.<BR>
www.meteorites.uk.com<BR>
Fernlea Meteorites,<BR>
The Wynd,<BR>
Off Dickson Lane,<BR>
Milton of Balgonie,<BR>
Fife. KY7 6PY<BR>
United Kingdom<BR>
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563<BR>
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991<BR>
Mobile: 07909-773929<BR>
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_161.15ee855e.2ae2e7dc_boundary--