[meteorite-list] where would I go to look?

From: Tom / james Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:04 2004

<P>Hello Gregory and list, I have a question. When I look on land for a meteorite I see if the rock is heavy for its size, along with all the other things you are suppose to look for. Could you tell under water if a small rock is any heavier than another? This under water hunting would go a lot better, in my opinion, if you inlisted moses to part the sea for you!<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, Tom</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The proudest member of the I.M.C.A. #6168</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com
<DIV></DIV>To: steve_arnol60120_at_yahoo.com, meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] where would I go to look?
<DIV></DIV>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:45:18 EDT
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>ssteve-arnol60120_at_yahoo.com writes:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; The ocean out there is very clear, so looking for
<DIV></DIV>&gt; meteorites would not be a problem.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I'm a Divemaster and have been fortunate enough to spend time in the South
<DIV></DIV>Pacific, as well as many other other scuba-locations offering extraordinarily
<DIV></DIV>clear water. Looking for meteorites underwater would be, if anything, much
<DIV></DIV>more problematic than looking for them on land, because:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>a) a freshly-fallen meteorite and a rock would appear just as similar
<DIV></DIV>underwater as topside, and b) then, as you descend below 30 feet or so,
<DIV></DIV>colors quickly dissipate, making most all objects blend in together even
<DIV></DIV>more, and c) any highly metallic object would disintegrate rapidly in a
<DIV></DIV>marine environment, and d) any meteorite which didn't disintegrate would soon
<DIV></DIV>morph into just another coral-encrusted mini-reef, like virtually any other
<DIV></DIV>underwater rock surface, and e) searching with a metal detector, like any
<DIV></DIV>kind of underwater motion, would be much more slow-going than on land, and f)
<DIV></DIV>at least on land, you don't have to interrupt your search every 55 minutes to
<DIV></DIV>switch tanks, and g) decompression-sickness considerations strictly limit the
<DIV></DIV>time one can spend at any given depth. I suspect there are reasons h, i, j,
<DIV></DIV>and k too, if we think about it....
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I often looked at rock formations underwater, and wish-and-wonder.....but
<DIV></DIV>realistically, I'd guess the chances are even more remote than stumbling onto
<DIV></DIV>something in one's backyard.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Gregory