[meteorite-list] where would I go to look?

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:04 2004

--part1_10c.1962b4a7.2ae9a7ce_boundary

ssteve-arnol60120_at_yahoo.com writes:

> The ocean out there is very clear, so looking for
> meteorites would not be a problem.

I'm a Divemaster and have been fortunate enough to spend time in the South
Pacific, as well as many other other scuba-locations offering extraordinarily
clear water. Looking for meteorites underwater would be, if anything, much
more problematic than looking for them on land, because:

a) a freshly-fallen meteorite and a rock would appear just as similar
underwater as topside, and b) then, as you descend below 30 feet or so,
colors quickly dissipate, making most all objects blend in together even
more, and c) any highly metallic object would disintegrate rapidly in a
marine environment, and d) any meteorite which didn't disintegrate would soon
morph into just another coral-encrusted mini-reef, like virtually any other
underwater rock surface, and e) searching with a metal detector, like any
kind of underwater motion, would be much more slow-going than on land, and f)
at least on land, you don't have to interrupt your search every 55 minutes to
switch tanks, and g) decompression-sickness considerations strictly limit the
time one can spend at any given depth. I suspect there are reasons h, i, j,
and k too, if we think about it....

I often looked at rock formations underwater, and wish-and-wonder.....but
realistically, I'd guess the chances are even more remote than stumbling onto
something in one's backyard.

Gregory

--part1_10c.1962b4a7.2ae9a7ce_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2> <BR>
ssteve-arnol60120_at_yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><I>The ocean out there is very clear, so looking for<BR>
meteorites would not be a problem. </BLOCKQUOTE></I><BR>
 <BR>
I'm a Divemaster and have been fortunate enough to spend time in the South Pacific, as well as many other other scuba-locations offering extraordinarily clear water.&nbsp;&nbsp; Looking for meteorites underwater would be, if anything, much more problematic than looking for them on land, because:<BR>
<BR>
a) a freshly-fallen meteorite and a rock would appear just as similar underwater as topside, and b) then, as you descend below 30 feet or so, colors quickly dissipate, making most all objects blend in together even more, and c) any highly metallic object would disintegrate rapidly in a marine environment, and d) any meteorite which didn't disintegrate would soon morph into just another coral-encrusted mini-reef, like virtually any other underwater rock surface, and e) searching with a metal detector, like any kind of underwater motion, would be much more slow-going than on land, and f) at least on land, you don't have to interrupt your search every 55 minutes to switch tanks, and g) decompression-sickness considerations strictly limit the time one can spend at any given depth.&nbsp;&nbsp; I suspect there are reasons h, i, j, and k too, if we think about it....<BR>
<BR>
I often looked at rock formations underwater, and wish-and-wonder.....but realistically, I'd guess the chances are even more remote than stumbling onto something in one's backyard.<BR>
<BR>
Gregory&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_10c.1962b4a7.2ae9a7ce_boundary--