[meteorite-list] Mystery

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:05 2004

Hi Michael and List,

I'm not sure if this will help you or not. The photograph portion of the
software I use (PhotoStudio 2000) for my meteorite website gave me the option
of scanning photographs anywhere from a 75dpi resolution to 2400dpi
resolution. I initially scanned the photos at about 600dpi. Little did I
realize until I tried opening the website that it took many minutes for all
of the pics to display. Needless to say at 600dpi, the images took up a
tremendous amount of real estate. I re-scanned all of the pics again at
75dpi, and there was really no discernible difference in picture quality. The
pics loaded up at least 6-7 times as fast, the website was much quicker to
display...all was right with the world.

Now, I don't a thing about digital cameras but I would surmise that if the
cameras allowed the operator to determine the dpi / resolution, a lower
resolution might work as long as it does not affect the image quality. Anyone
else with a thought on this?
My two dpi worth... ;-)

Steven L. Sachs