[meteorite-list] Re: Civilized Strewnfields

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:19 2004

Tom posted:

>I think trying at Meteor Crater would be a great idea. If you get a
>employee to go out and supervise and promise to give all the
>recovered meteorites to them

Dear Tom:

Ha ha! Good luck with that!

You're more likely to discover the Fountain of Youth than get
permission to hunt at Meteor Crater. The owners/managers are
notoriously unsympathetic to meteorite enthusiasts. Many have tried
to get permission to hunt there. Some have collected there illegally.
Several hunters have been arrested and/or warned off by the local
police, including more than one member of this List. I tried some
years ago to get permission to just WALK around parts of the crater,
as research for a science article. Nothing doing.

It is my understanding that the owners don't want any features
(written or otherwise) produced about meteorite hunting at the
crater, because they feel it "encourages" meteorite poaching there.
At least that's what the manager told me. The truth is probably far
more sinister : )

Regards,

Geoff N.
www.paleozoic.org