[meteorite-list] Tuxtuac

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:25 2004

Hello List,

I was enjoying some impressive sunspots through my C-8 in the afternoon
and now I am waiting for a dark sky to do some deep-sky observing
tonight and at the moment I am fascinated by several details in a
Tuxtuac thin section I got from Michael Blood two years ago. It is a
slightly trapezoidal, rectangular thin section with numerous, diverse
chondrules and a troilite patch 10 x 5 mm in dimension at upper right.
To me, this troilite patch is slightly reminiscent of the stubby
Widmanstätten pattern of a coarse octahedrite (brassy shimmer in
reflected light -it is black when viewed under crossed polars). Also
there are several silicate blebs interspersed within.

Can anyone confirm such an observation?

There is also a beautiful, barred olivine chondrule displaying a vivid
greenish/turquoise color with purple red iron-rich rims and at bottom
center a “huge” segment of a pyroxene chondrule (segment because the
thin section material was cut right there) whose original diameter must
have been at least 4 mm.

Best regards,

Bernd