[meteorite-list] Re: Did a Comet Swarm Kill the Dinosaurs?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:26 2004

Hi all -

If my memory serves me, (I seem to remember that
Pacific Ocean recovery was not a carbonaceous
chondrite), that another comet besides this one may
have hit an asteroid and sent it into the Earth would
seem highly likely -

About every 26 million years or so (the process is
chaotic), when the Earth passes through the plane of
our solar system, The Milky Way, there is an influx of
comets and mass extinctions usually ensue.

I don't know where we are in this impact-extinction
process now, but perhaps the recent cometary impacts
with the Earth amd the impact of Shoemaker-Levy 9 with
Jupiter may have some bearng on this -

ep

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/current/article_738_1.asp