[meteorite-list] The Pacific dinosaur killer find was indeed H class????

From: Keith <littlejo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:27 2004

In the thread " Hi all - Glad to see the Pacific dinosaur
killer find was indeed H class and on Tue, 17 Sep 2002,
Greg Shanos wrote:

>Dear List Members:
>
>What is the primary literature reference
>for this statement? Bernd where are you???

For the question that I think you are asking I think
the primary reference is Kyte (1998). Kyte (1998) stated:

"The fossil meteorite from DSDP Hole 576 appears to be
from (1) a chondritic meteorite with (2) significant
amounts of metal and sulphide (4-8%), (3) large
inclusions [>200 um] of mafic minerals that also
contained metal, and (4) 30-60% fine-grained matrix. The
known meteorite groups that best fit these criteria
could be the CV, CO, and CR carbonaceous chondrites."

References cited:

Kyte F. T. (1998) A meteorite from the Cretaceous-
Tertiary boundary. Nature, vol. 396, pp. 237-239.

Web Pages:

1. Did the K-T impactor look like this?
http://www.scn.org/~bh162/meteorite.html

This web page stated:

"Dr. Frank Kyte of UCLA, who disovered the meteorite
fragment in the K-T boundary sediments from the
Pacific Ocean (Kerr, 1996; Kyte, 1998), believes that
the bolide that carved-out the Chicxulub crater in
the Yucutan Peninsula of Mexico was of the chondritic
type."

2. Shrapnel from a smoking gun
http://www.nature.com/nsu/981126/981126-1.html

3. Pebbles that did for the dinosaurs
New Scientist, 23 Mar 96, Volume 149, Issue 2022
By Jeff Hecht, Boston
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/dinosaurs/pebbles.jsp

4. Sea Clue to Death of Dinosaurs

5. Frank T. Kyte
Adjunct Associate Professor of Geochemistry
http://www.ess.ucla.edu/faculty/kyte/

Yours,

Keith
New Orleans, LA