[meteorite-list] Stopping Rust & Preserving Iron Meteorites - THIS WORKS!

From: Steven Schoner <american_meteorite_survey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:27 2004

And I might also add that the process that I devised
also works well with Brahin. But with pallasites one
has to be careful as some of the olivines have a
tendency to rise out of their sockets as the FeCl3 is
converted to FeOH. Then during drying the FeOH is
converted to iron oxides. And the olivines are at
this point fairly secure. But what I do is use
superglue to fix all the olivines then sand it down.
I then leave the pallasite slices uncoated after
polishing for several weeks. If they don't rust then
I heat them to 150 degrees then dip them in
polyurethane and allow them to dry.

They never rust again.

The process also works very well with the problematic
Lamont mesosiderite as well.

Steve Schoner
American Meteorite Survey.