[meteorite-list] Ni-free

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:29 2004

Lucky Frank wrote:

> The part that caught my eye in the above description was that
> the metal was Ni-free. I am not familiar with any meteorite
> where the iron portion isn't associated with nickel. Are
> there any others?

Hello All,

All I can come up with at the moment is another NWA entry: NWA 1109.
It was described as "Accessory minerals in clasts and matrix include
ilmenite, Ni-free Fe metal, chromite, baddeleyite and apatite."

I don't know if this is an official and final description of this
eucrite. Maybe Ni-free is something like low-Ni metal (kamacite),
which does in no way make this olivine diogenite less enigmatic !!!

Cheers,

Equally Lucky
And Happy,
Bernd