[meteorite-list] "The Search for the Missing Amazon Meteor"

From: Mal Bishop <magbish3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:31 2004

Hi Folks,

I thought some of you might be interested in reading this article
at Space.com:

    =
 http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/crater_expedition_020924-=
1.html

Very interesting excerpt, "On Sept. 26, the expedition team will hold=20
their third and last live webcast, accessible through their web site=20
(http://www.blueiceonline.org)."

The researchers involved think this may be the youngest impact crater on=20
Earth (the site is located in Bolivia);

"Scientists are not certain how or when Iturralde Crater formed (despite=20
its name that alludes to an impact). General speculation and circumstantial=
=20
evidence point to the collision of a meteor =96 either an asteroid or comet=
=20
-- about 5,000 to 30,000 years ago. This would make it one of the youngest=
=20
impact craters known, although some scientists argue it is much older."

I know this "missing Amazon meteor" story has been around for sometime and=
=20
is rather controversial, but at the same time, have any
of you heard of the theory related to a meteor impact that may have shaped=
=20
the coastline of North and South Carolina! There is a geophysicist
(I can't remember his name or where I read the story at this time, but I=20
will find it again soon) who claims that this just may have happened.
Although most if not all of his fellow peers strongly doubt it, he is still=
=20
undeterred and says he will prove it one way or another!

Both topics are extremely interesting...

Mal