[meteorite-list] Wabar Pearls or Beads

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:32 2004

Anne wrote:

> I got a few more at the Denver Show, mostly "odd-shaped" ones,
> often meaning that they are chipped or broken. I have been
> looking at the broken ones and was rather surprised. I was
> expecting them to be glassy all the way through like Libyan
> Glass or Moldavite, but that is not the case at all. I found
> that they are composed of a glassy outer shell packed with
> tiny black grains of sand (I suppose) tightly packed and
> glued together. It looks as if the vitrification process was
> incomplete, only the outer layer turned to glass.

> Any comments?

No, not (yet). Are there any pictures you could put up on your
website. I would very much like to see those tiny black grains
of sand that are so tightly packed and glued together as you
state. They m a y (speculation only so far!) represent highly
* d e- * vitrified impactite melt beads.

Best regards,

Bernd