[meteorite-list] Re: TEKTITES vs. Obsidian

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:32 2004

--part1_fb.2ca4bd43.2ac3cd1f_boundary

In a message dated 9/25/2002 11:06:06 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
jonee_at_epix.net writes:

> An additional hobby of mine is natural glass and I've examined samples
> from many areas of the world including impact, tektite, atomic, and
> volcanic as well as for contrast slag glass and ancient man-made glass.

Did you have the occasion to take a good look at Wabar pearls?

I got a few more at the Denver Show, mostly "odd-shaped" ones, often meaning
that they are chipped or broken.
I have been looking at the broken ones and was rather surprised. I was
expecting them to be glassy all the way through like Libyan Glass or
Moldavite, but that is not the case at all. I found that they are composed of
a glassy outer shell packed with tiny black grains of sand (I suppose)
tightly packed and glued together.
It looks as if the vitrification process was incomplete, only the outer layer
turned to glass.

Any comments?

Anne Black
IMCA #2356