[meteorite-list] FWD From the Field, Steve Arnold IMB

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:01 2004

Dear Listees:

Steve Arnold, IMB, is still in the field in the Chicago area. He
asked me to forward this to the List on his behalf, as he is not able
to post at the moment.

Regards,

Geoff N.

***********

Hey Guys,

After 5 days of hunting and trying to buy meteorites, this is all I
was able to get.

A little about this meteorite. It fell near midnight on the 26/27 of
March 2003 in the southern Chicago suburbs. This seems to be an
impact melt and I have heard that it is either an L6 or and LL6. The
interior of these rocks either are dark gray or light gray and in
some there are both lithologies. If you look the big fragment I
have, you can see melt lines. The crust on some, really on almost
all I have seen, is quite splotchy, especially on the smaller ones.

On some you will see white chalky marks, these are most likely from
hit asphalt and marking the specimens. Some were picked up within the
first 36 hours, before it started raining. Those recovered before
the rain are far more pristine and those after are already starting
to get some rust staining. The dark melt portions tend not to have
as much crust on them.

To be honest, I am not sure how many more of these will be found, I
suspect not many so the prices are what I feel are maybe a little
high, but not being able to get more of these little guys forces a
premium on them. There is a chance that more will be found and the
prices might come down a little if I don't sell these quickly. Then
again, if no more are found, some of these might be purchased in the
mean time and later will be resold in the near future for a higher
price. This is a fluid situation, but I do know that the trip has
been expensive for me and that many of the people that came here have
left with nothing. I am happy to have found these.

Prices $36.00/g

Please email or call me (cell: 918-671-9210) if you want any of these.

11.9g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/119w.jpg
Great rock, quite light interior with dark contrasting crust

18.6g fragment
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/186f.jpg
I call this a fragment, but it probably is a whole stone with in
flight breaking on 2 sides.

11.1g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/111w.jpg

9.8 whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/98w.jpg

10.5g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/105wx.jpg

47.8g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/478wa.jpg
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/478wb.jpg
The nicest one I have. 75% Crusted

65.7g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/657wa.jpg
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/657wb.jpg
Well, this might be my nicest one, half dark heavy melt portion and
half light gray, not as crusted, I will cut this one if not sold,
should make great slices.

34.4g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/344w.jpg
2/3 dark, 1/2 light, not much crust

24.5g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/245w.jpg
1/3 dark, 2/3 light, 40% crust

18.0g 1/2 stone
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/180ha.jpg
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/180hb.jpg
This either broke in half on impact or late in flight.
Flat face reveals half dark and half light with a vein, 80% crusted
on back side.
Cute, great specimen

27.4g whole
http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/274wb.jpg
half Light half dark, cool veins.
Broken faces.

164.9g fragment
  http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/1649wa.jpg
  http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/1649wb.jpg
This one will be cut into slices if I don't sell it complete

Let me know, first come first served.

Steve