[meteorite-list] Good bye List

From: Mike Groetz <mpg444_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:03 2004

Hi Tom-
   In no way should you leave the list!!! There are
many reasons we should all stay together in this hobby
and money sure isn't one of them. I honestly do not
feel that one's ability to purchase meteorites has
anything to do with the fun we have of learning (and
wondering!)
   My position with the company I've worked for just a
few months shy of 30 years now is very questionable
right now with the economy and my age (I just turned
50). I am salaried and seriously sweat a little with
every pay check. Both of our kids are full time
students in college and believe me- college costs and
meteorites do not mix. And we are trying very hard to
get them through without major loans hanging on them
when they get out- yet they are not getting a free
ride either.
   Enough of that. This is how I am doing it.
   99% of my collection is micros from very good
people. They are highly diversified from many
locations around the world. Not the top specimens
(including Forest Park!!) and rarely do I spend much
over $10 (if that)for each.
   But it is like I tell my son at school with his
baseball cards- you may not have the best or the most
expensive- but what you do have are yours and you need
to be proud of them. And he is proud of them as I am
proud of the meteorite collection I do have.
   With a purchase here or there of a small micro when
I feel like splurging (I have my share of attractive
NWA's- believe me!)- it keeps my excitement going. I
wondered if I would be a pain in the dealer's sides-
but I have not felt that from them. Believe me- I am
not one of their big spenders although I have wished
many times I could afford nicer or larger as you have.
   So hang in there. We all need to be thankful for
what we have. You've made allot of positive
contributions to this list and I think everyone would
miss you if you backed out. I know I would.
   I wish you the best with your work and your future.
Please don't back out of the meteorite list.

Mike Groetz

--- Tom aka James Knudson <knudson911_at_frontiernet.net>