[meteorite-list] NP Article, 08-1913 Aerolite Wrecks Village

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:09 2004

--------------D909EFCD79629A8AD89E6656

Mark and List,
I can't find any falls in Spain in 1913.
Do you think this is a hoax?
Ken Newton

MARK BOSTICK wrote:

> <?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" />Title:
> Indianapolis Star
> City: Indianapolis, Indiana
> Date: Sunday, August 31, 1913
> AEROLITE WRECKS VILLAGE
> Ball of Fire Drops From Sky, Destroying Countryside
> MADRID, Aug. 30. - The village of Alcocer, near Valencia, has
> bven practically destroyed and the surrounding country ravaged by an
> aerolite of great size. Shortly after noon there dropped from the a
> cloudless sky a great lurid ball of fire. a deafening serios of
> detonations, like a thousand rifle shorts, resounded through the still
> atmosphere and scattering tongues of flames leaped in all directions
> as the heavy mass buried itself in the earth. The surrounding coutry
> was set on fire, and within an hour nothing but blackened masses of
> smoldering cinders ramined of farmhouses, hay lofts, trees and
> gathered crops of hay, wheat and olives. The whole population of
> Alcocer was at the moment attending a requiem service in the church,
> some two miles distant. But for that circumstance the loss of life
> would have been terrible. As it was, five persons were seriously
> burned, one of them succumbing to the injuries. At the moment the
> aerolite fell a rain of stones, some the size of oranges and weighing
> nearly two pounds, burst over the neighboring villages of Benavites
> and Cuarill. The ground was covered in placed to a depth of five
> inches by these stones. A pungent odor of sulphur pervaded the
> locality for hours after the phenomenon. www.MeteoriteArticles.com

--------------D909EFCD79629A8AD89E6656

Mark and List,
&lt;?xml:namespace prefix="v" />&lt;?xml:namespace
prefix="o" />Title: Indianapolis Star
near Valencia, has bven practically destroyed and the surrounding country
ravaged by an aerolite of great size.&nbsp; Shortly after noon there dropped
from the a cloudless sky a great lurid ball of fire.&nbsp; a deafening
serios of detonations, like a thousand rifle shorts, resounded through
the still atmosphere and scattering tongues of flames leaped in all directions
as the heavy mass buried itself in the earth.&nbsp; The surrounding coutry
was set on fire, and within an hour nothing but blackened masses of smoldering
cinders ramined of farmhouses, hay lofts, trees and gathered crops of hay,
wheat and olives.&nbsp; The whole population of Alcocer was at the moment
attending a requiem service in the church, some two miles distant.&nbsp;
But for that circumstance the loss of life would have been terrible.&nbsp;
As it was, five persons were seriously burned, one of them succumbing to
the injuries.&nbsp; At the moment the aerolite fell a rain of stones, some
the size of oranges and weighing nearly two pounds, burst over the neighboring
villages of Benavites and Cuarill.&nbsp; The ground was covered in placed
to a depth of five inches by these stones.&nbsp; A pungent odor of sulphur
pervaded the locality for hours after the phenomenon.&nbsp;www.MeteoriteArticles.com</blockquote>