[meteorite-list] NP Article, 02-1977 Innisfree Meteorite Fall

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:10 2004

Hi Mark and all,

It is a fairly well proven idea that a number of asteroid chunks (meteoroids) after
collision end up in some of the kirkwood gaps (sp) where they have a common ratio of
orbit with Jupiter and become perpetrated into Mars, Earth, Venus, and so on orbits.
It would stand to reason that some objects are ejected further out in the solar system
should the right conditions exist. No doubt many a comet and asteroid may have been
perpetrated into the far reaches of our solar system. Perhaps many of the Kuiper Belt
objects and Ort belt objects may be such beasts. Why we really need to go out there
and investigate with multiple probes. It has also always been my thinking that some of
our asteroids are spent comets that have been around the block a few times and end up
trapped in the asteroid belt or perhaps other belts that exist and we are now just
starting to think could exist. We may someday find out that many of the asteroid are
spent comets. We even see some very minor gassing of known asteroids suggesting this.

--AL