[meteorite-list] unique stuff?

From: rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:10 2004

Whoa! look at that:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2170647891&category=3239
almost 100$/g for the most common type of chondrite (L6), with a
large total weight, while among the rarest type (R4) was sold at
10$/g (NWA800) yesterday!
Of course this one hit a house in Illinois, I beg your pardon.
But NWA800, like every meteorite in my very tiny collection, hit the
most unique and precious thing I can think of: our Planet. The
craziest thing is that the sympathetic dealer (I like you, do not
take offense from this post!) making this offer is possibly making
less profit on it than when he sells a rare NWA, and taking much more
risk: he may be trapped by the police next time he passes by Chicago
airport... Yes, the market makes the price, and PF is very pretty,
that's all. But who knows what will be the relative price of these
two (PF and NWA800, or else take a recent LL6* fall) in a few years.
Pretty lolitas are sometimes desappointing at maturity.
--
Pierre
*there is about 8 times less LL6 than L6 falls.