[meteorite-list] Impact Melt Breccia Statistics

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:08 2004

Hello all,

Another nice L6 IMB for anyone interested in these things is the beautiful
Chico...a find from New Mexico I believe. One of my favorite slices.

Recently I received a very nice slice of the Park Forest with both
lithologies...it is very special. Mostly the dark phase. The metal reflectance
characteristics of this piece/meteorite is something unique (in my eyes) to
impact melt breccias(IMB). I have 5 or 6 different IMB's now and they all seem
to have different angles of "dullness" and "brightness" when moving the piece
around in a good light. One view can look like no metal at all...and another
shows great amounts of metal, and it is very reflective in nature. Most
chondrites have this feature, but it seems to be exacerbated with IMB's.

Has anyone noticed this other than me?

John