[meteorite-list] non magnetic meteorites

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

--- MrX3010_at_aol.com wrote:
> Do you know if it was an ordinary old refrigerator
> magnet that your friend
> used to test the meteorite with? If so isn't it
> possible that a stony
> wouldn't readily stick to it and seem to the
> observer that it wasn't
> magnetic? If you do revisit your friend try using a
> good strong rare earth
> magnet and see it will attract.
>
> Just a thought,
> Ron

Ron,

I have found that just about anything will stick to a
strong rare earth magnet.

The best magnet to use for meteorite ID is a standard
magnet, one make out of iron.

But these are getting hard to find now.

So what I now suggest is that one make a magnet using
a strong rare earth magnet and a nail.

Stroke the nail rapidly, lengthwise over the rare
earth magnet about 20 to 40 times.

It will then turn it into a "standard magnet."

Now hold the meteorite suspect over it, drawing it
closer to see if it sticks, this can also be done with
the magnet nail hung on a string.

Just about any ordinary chondrite will cause it to
stick, but ordinary earth rocks won't.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification