[meteorite-list] Fw: Interesting item on eBay web site item#2171794657: answer

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

I have some pieces of PF on my desk, and also to me
this one looks more like a terrastial sedimentary one.
There could be the fusion-crust, but if you look the
brownish material on it, itīs hard to belive, it could be
weathered as much. Also the toast-like structure is
typical for sediment origin material. There are several
quite sharp edges in the stone, these may be possible
also in the meteorite fragment, if it has been broken
when landed, anyway, this piece have them in all sides.
Also this kind "geometrical" shapes are not common in
meteorites. There are also smaller pieces of material
inside the stone, and itīs quite hard to belive, these
would have been cleared the flight and the landing.
Also terrestial sedimentary ones can contain magnetite,
and if you are using a rare earth magnet, very small
amounts of this mineral makes the stone to attract to
the magnet.

Iīm not a judge, and itīs hard to say anything sure, if
you donīt have the item for the closer look, anyway,
this item is to me at least questonable and need to be
chekced by some familiar with meteorites before it can
be sold as a meteorite or as a sedimentary rock...;-

pekka