[meteorite-list] Park Forest splash forms update

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

Dear List Members,

I have been receiving a lot of emails concerning the Park Forest tektite
looking objects. It is our hope that somebody on the list in the Chicago
area can go to the Park Forest neighborhood and collect all the trappings
minus leafs in gutters from houses located next to the houses that were
impacted. We need this material for control samples to see if the objects
are associated with the impact sites or are scattered randomly throughout
the neighborhood.

Here are a few Scanning Electron Microscope pictures of the objects for your
enjoyment:

Complete Teardrop link:
http://www.lunarrock.com/ParkForest/probe3.jpg

Notice how clean the surface is, these are not part of the composition
shingle as somebody suggested. These are composed of iron bearing glass.
Note the glass strings flowed over the surface.

Thin section of Ball link:
http://www.lunarrock.com/ParkForest/probe1.jpg

Notice the swirls, the lighter colored areas contain more iron. There are
also vesicles like in indochinites.

At this time the origin of these glass objects is unknown. They have never
been associated with a meteorite fall before, kind of like something you
would see on the X-Files.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe