[meteorite-list] Re: In Contest defense

From: chris sharp <casper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:10 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Sullivan" <runtime1972_at_hotmail.com>
To: <knudson911_at_frontiernet.net>; <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 9:32 PM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Re: In Contest defense

snip

| It would also mean a LOT to me (and many others) if you would quit this
| "competition" nonsense and show some respect to those that have made it
| quite clear that they are not interested in your childish humor.Sure,you
| want some free meteorites but that does not make it acceptable to spam
| around 600 list members with your trash.

I'll second this comment. Sex has nothing to do with meteorites.

| Please take it somewhere else,or email Chicago Steve directly,or buy the
| ******* meteorites!They cannot be worth much more than 5-10 bucks in total.
| Some listees with their constant and multiple,daily outpourings of complete
| trivia (you know who you are!) ruin this forum for the rest of us.Enough
| already!!!If you dont have anything mildly intelligent to say,then please
| say nothing,so leaving the way clear for the majority to learn from those
| that do.

To Chicago Steve:

By using the list as a cheap advertising medium to hit a target audience on a daily basis
you have raised your personal profile but have also succeeded in irritating a fair
percentage of that target audience. How about we get a break for a while?

Why not wait until you feel sure that you have something to offer that will interest your
colleagues before firing off your emails? Imagine what would happen if we all used the
meteorite list like you? It would become almost useless. 600 daily emails, thats a lot of
delete keys.

I enjoy the science of meteorites as much as their history, their rarity and fascinating
forms. Sure there are other dealers that use the list and I have no problem with that.
None of them have used (and abused) the list like you have.

Steve, how about one post a week. OK PF was pretty exciting, (still is) but IMHO your
contest does you no credit and leaves people with the wrong impression of what this list
is about. You can spend the week thinking about what you are going to say and then let us
have it.

Oh yeah, congrats on your coup with PF. Your "calling them in" now. I remember reading
your first post mentioning the new PF meteorite, stranger than fiction if you ask me.

regards to all in meteorite land

chris sharp