[meteorite-list] Protecting irons again

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:10 2004

Mark kindly asked:

> Anyone else have any thoughts on the coating on sikhotes we have
> been seeing? Or possibly know what it is?

Hi Mark and all,

I was under the impression that it was not so much a coating, but a polishing from being talc blasted. I have some 'original' SA specimens, one even with a Soviet Academy of Sciences cloth tape label, and many of the latter ones as well. When comparing then, there are differences. I will try to photograph them soon comparing the surfaces textures and colors.

Cheers,

Martin