[meteorite-list] Dumb Question - Micro Mount

From: walter branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:10 2004

Hi Bob,

There really is not a hard and fast definition of a micromount.
It has generally come to mean simply a small specimen that
perhaps might fit in a small, say one inch container. It has more
to do with size than weight. You are correct, if cut thin some
micros have very large surface areas. I have a .47 gram slice
of Zagami that is 10 x 15 mm. It is a micromount.

You will also see occassional reference to a "macro"mount.
This is simply a larger micromount. My own personal
criteria is such that weight begins to matter when I am
looking at what someone calls a macromount.

You will also occasionally see reference to a "thumbnail" specimen,
which is a term generally used in the larger rock and mineral
collecting world. Meteorite collectors don't usually use this term.
I am not entirely sure but the term thumbnail
and micromounts may in somewhat interchangable.

Hope this helps (but probably not).

-Walter
www.branchmeteorites.com