[meteorite-list] Re: Protecting irons again

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:14:08 2004

Geoff N. kindly wrote:
> You can find -- for sale on the web, and elsewhere -- any number of
> Sikhote-Alin individuals which are described as having "fusion
> crust," or "gun metal blue fusion crust," etc. I'm sorry to say that
> many or possibly even most of these Sikhote-Alins do not actually
> retain all (or in some cases, any) of their fusion crust, and that
> they have been cleaned at some point between the strewn field and the
> sale page.

Hello again,

I just posted some food for thought on the web in the form of a comparison
photograph of two S-A specimens. One is the 'primitive' individual that has
gone through less human cosmetology, while the other is a more recently
acquired piece that most likely has had its share of visits to the beauty
parlor.

The differences are subtle, but they are there.

http://aristotle.isu.edu/s-a_compare.jpg

Any other thoughts or observations?

Martin