[meteorite-list] FW: Re: Meteors in Brazil

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:14:08 2004

--------------- Forward Message ---------------

Date: 27 Apr 2003 11:56 GMT
From: Harro.Zimmer_at_t-online.de (Harro Zimmer)
Subject: (meteorobs) Re: Meteors in Brazil

The interesting reports about a dramatic meteor
sighting over Brazil (Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro
ect.)with accustics effects at the early morning hours
on 26 April may have an another explanation.
On 26 April- around 05:50 UTC - we saw the decay of
the rocket body of a Russian Proton launch: 2003-015B
(#27776) over this region. The US SPACE CONTROL CENTER
showed in its final message the decay on:

26 April, 05:51 UTC +/- 07 minutes
(23.0=B0S,314.0=B0E)
ascending over Brazil.
This is within 3 minutes in good agreement with my own
calculation. It shows for the reentry trajectory a
high
elevation pass for Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro
travelling
SSW - NNO.
The rocket body have a mass of 4200 kg and delivered
in
the past some very impressive "fireworks".
We can solve the question "meteor or the decay" very
quick with a more precise time information from Brazil
(please UTC!).

Harro

Harro Zimmer

Berlin, Germany