[meteorite-list] Global Wildfires Did Not Kill The Dinosaurs

From: Charles Viau <cviau_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:43 2004

Hi list,

Alan Heldebrand (discoverer of Chix.) did not believe that a global
wildfire was possible either. In one of his papers he cited the work he
did with C.Belcher a few years ago:

(Quote, reproduced without permission)

"Belcher et al. (submitted) have established that no charcoal occurs in
the soot-bearing boundary layers at nonmarine sites in North America.
This apparently indicates that the thermal pulse from re-entering ejecta
mechanism is not capable of igniting the forests even relatively near
Chicxulub, relegating this mechanism a very minor role at best, as
fireball irradiance will dominate thermal effects close to the crater."

They published a table (with original work done also by W. Wolbach) that
made so much sense. It showed the increasing agents of environmental
damage that would be caused by such an impact. Certainly not being an
expert at any of this, is seems reasonable to me that ALL large impacts
impart the same general environmental destruction in a similar
increasing scale.

(table, partly reproduced without permission)

Environmental change agent Duration Reference(s)

1. Dust veil (darkness and cold) Months
2. Proximal wind
Hours
3. Proximal giant waves Hours,
4. Proximal to regional fireball irradiance Minutes
5. Regional thermal pulse from re-entering ejecta Hours
6. Acid rain (nitrogen- and sulfur-based) Years
7. Stratospheric aerosols (cold) Decades
8. Ozone layer depletion (ultraviolet exposure) Decades
9. H2O greenhouse Decades

10. CO2 greenhouse
Millennia
11. Poisons and mutagens Years to
millennia?
12. Oscillatory/disrupted climate Million
years

I love the subject, and especially in this case, believe that a global
wildfire would require much more energy. (perhaps the size of what might
have hit Hudson bay?)