[meteorite-list] Patterns in Sikhote-Alin

From: Lars Pedersen <lbp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:48 2004

Hello David

> So after melting and recooling on Earth do they really
> maintain the pattern
>or is it only present on pieces large enough not to melt?

Yes as Frederic explained, only the surface and a thin layer below is
heated.
The passage thrue the atmosphere takes only a few seconds, so the heating is
intense but short.

If it was heated (as far as I remember above aprox. 700 deg. C. )all the way
true the meteorite, there would be no Widmanstatten patern.

Yes Sikhote-Alinīs do have a very coarce pattern, in fact the patern can be
so wide that a slice looks like it has no patern at all.

Best wishes
Lars Pedersen