[meteorite-list] Libyan Double Impact Crater - Its Location

From: Paul <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:03 2004

In [meteorite-list] Discovery of a Double Impact
Crater in Libya, Charles Viau wrote:

> Fantastic!
> The somewhat obvious question is that could these
> structures possibly be a source for Libyan Desert
> Glass, or is the source for that material already
> well known?
>
> CharlyV

This proposed impact structure is described in:

Philippe Paillou, Ake Rosenqvist, Jean-Marie
Malezieux, Bruno Reynard, Tom Farr, and Essam
Heggy, 2003, Discovery of a double impact
crater in Libya: the astrobleme of Arkenu.
Competus Rendus Geoscience. vol. 335,
pp. 1059-1069.

The link, "Volume 335, Issue 15,
Pages 1049-1100 (December 2003)" at:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/web-editions/journal/16310713

The article stated:

"The newly discovered structures are located 110
km west of Djebel Arkenu and 250 km south of
Kufra oasis in Libya, at coordinates N 22
degrees, 04 minutes, E 23 degrees, 45 minutes.
It is a flat and hyperarid area, presenting a
Cretaceous sandstone formation covered by
active Aeolian deposits and Quaternary soils, ..."

Their figure 1 shows the craters to be located
south-southwest of the area containing Libyan
Desert Glass at a distance much further from
this area than either the Oasis or BP structures.

The papers illustrated some very nice shatter
cones and credible impact breccia and quartz
grain what they call "planar fractures". I get
the impression that they might have meant planar
deformation features.

Yours,

Paul
Baton Rouge, LA