[meteorite-list] Big-Ass Rusty Campo
From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:26 2004
My best specimen from Tucson 2003 is (drumroll please)... a rusty 19-pound
(Hey, we can't ALL offer $5k for the nice bullet-shaped pieces like some
I want to clean this sucker up, but I need advice. I believe that there
should be four steps in the process:
(1) Brushing off the rust
(2) Soaking in a chemical solution
(3) Baking in the oven at 150 Fahrenheit for a few hours
(4) Coating it to keep moisture out
Step #3 I think I understand well enough. :)
- Is there a certain type of brush to use? Wire, of course. Does it matter
what type of wire? Can I put something on my cordless drill to make it go
- What is the chemical bath formula? I know I've seen it here...
- What should I coat it with? I'm thinking of using the type of oil used on
gun barrels. Yes/No? Other options?
And, as ever, is there a really good, accurate, step-by-step web site that
covers stabilizing a rusty meteorite?
Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ
Can you really name a star? Read the Truth!
Received on Tue 11 Feb 2003 11:24:50 PM PST