[meteorite-list] Tucson 2003

From: Rosemary Hackney <ltcrose_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:27 2004

HI all.

I have just returned home form Tucson. I had a blast.. Everyone was nice to
a newbie like me. But.. I still haven't figured when I was introduced as
Rosie, why everyone looked at me with this funny look. No.. I don't have 2
heads..but I think they were expecting Carol Burnett.

The Tucson show was awesome and so were all the neat people I met. Mark and
Jason were super fun to hang with. Upon entering the Reid's room, there was
double trouble looking like mirror images sitting there..They even bobbed
their heads in the same manner... Finally I figured that the funny one was
Blake while the serious businessman was Blaine.

Sylvia and Eric Hairider were fantastic. They had all kinds of neat crystals
and meteorites. Sylvia was very hospitable and cordial. I leaned towards the
gems and crystals. Jason and Mark loved the meteorites. Eric had an awesome
assortment. They were very kind and helpful. Eric was a hit at the auction,
with his little balance and his mad scientist antics.

The Birthday party was a hoot. Whoa Pardners.. was that Steve Arnold ( not
of Chicago ) and Greg Notkin? Who were those masked men? And where did that
Klingon beam down from... Warf Martinez???? Mare Meteorites? Steve Arnold
of Chicago is looking for Honolulu....Steve Arnold of Chicago bought
Honolulu at 100 a gram. Steve Arnold of Chicago has Honolulu for sale at
200 a gram. Steve Arnold has Honolulu for trade.. let him know....

John Gwilliam got me in trouble with Bob Holmes and Logger. Hmm. Of
course..not hard for me to get into trouble.. is my middle name :-) Greg
Hupe was a doll. I don't know who is taller... Greg or Steve from Chicago..
but Steve is 6'' 7". And Greg didn't hold it too much against me when I
seemed to .. er.. have misplaced one of his pieces at the auction. Was only
a little piece. I mean.. he can just run up to the moon and get another
..can't he??? Well thanks Greg for not drawing and quartering me.

Robert Haag had an awesome collection. He let me hold a piece of Tagish Lake
as big as a charcoal briquette. And he let me take a picture of him holding
the mommy of my baby Calcalong. And then.. there was this huge Zagami. and
..and... and... He gave me a book and he even signed it :-) Of course.. I
got the impression that maybe he thought I was a sandwich short of a picnic.
Oh well.

Michael Blood had a neat auction and I tried to help. I made some boo boos
but he was forgiving. He is really a neat person. I had to laugh my rear end
off though when he had Steve Arnold ( not from Chicago ) bidding against
himself for about ten bids. Every time Michael would point at him, Steve
sang like a bird. I think he outbid himself up to 50.00. Then Eduardo
bailed him out. Eduardo was a cutie and I just had to give him a big teddy
bear hug. He is really nice.

Bill Mason took pity upon me and my poor rusted Taza and I left it in his
care. The next day..not a trace of rust. He is a miracle worker for sure. He
has this kit that takes rust and also restores. If you need something like
that for your specimens.. you need to get in touch with him. I was amazed.
It was awesome. Thanks Bill ((hugs)).

Well I am sure I have missed many like Michael Farmer.. who was really nice
to me. And Steve Drummond and . The Nortons.
And Anne Black . Jim Stroupe. Daryl Pitt. Marvin Kilgore. Thanks for
being so nice to me.

And a special Thanks to Mark Bostick who took me under his wing and
introduced Jason and me to the meteorite world.

Those who did not make it.. you missed a very special time. Try to make it
next year if you can. There are wonderful, knowledgeable, friendly people
out there.

Rosie