[meteorite-list] when will the US see another meteorite fall and recovery?

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:27 2004

In a message dated 2/15/2003 8:31:52 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
mmorgan_at_mhmeteorites.com writes:

<< Here in Colorado over the last 4 years, we have had at least 8 bright
fireballs that were tracked and trajectories calculated. Thanks to the local
museum, they have been publicized in newspapers and on TV (a la the Nininger
"way"). One of these (to my current knowledge) has produced a meteorite.
However, the others were certainly large enough to produce meteorites. So, to
answer your question, we are not in a meteorite drought, just most are never
recovered or if they are, they are not linked to a fireball event or made
public. >>

    As I recall there was a huge fireball in New York/Pennsylvania a couple
years ago that did not result in a found meteorite. Also a big fireball in
Arizona between Phoenix and Tucson a couple years ago that the University
conducted searches for that resulted in good exercise but not a meteorite.
They are dropping by, but nobody is around to welcome them home.
     I was joking with somebody about building an electromagnet a mile or two
across to collect meteorites. The thought of sucking a mercedes benz off the
highway and the resulting lawsuits seemed to be a problem to some, but I
image it would be a sight to see!

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com