[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting in the UK...

From: Stuart Forbes <stuart.forbes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:36 2004

> If I were to look in the UK.... This may sound funny
> to some, but think about it.... Hadrian's Wall.
>
> Lots of rocks, hand gathered 2,000 years ago, and
> piled from coast to coast.

I'm not so sure that taking rocks from a historical landmark is such a good
idea! Fortunately, in Scotland we have thousands of walls like it, the "dry
staine dikes" that most outdoor walls in the Scottish Highlands are made of.
They're just walls made of piles of stones without anything to hold them
together. Its very difficult to build a good one, but there seem to be
plenty of people in the Highlands good enough at it, because they're all
over the place. I'm always scanning them for black rocks when I'm out
hillwalking, so far without success.

I've no idea if they're as common in England or Wales though.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland