[meteorite-list] Seems PF fell on 3/27 and NOT on 3/26...

From: dlj0202_at_access-4-free.com <dlj0202_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:38 2004

Hello Steve, Mike and list,

That 7000 foot value is for the very bottom layer (I
verified with the NWS that my understanding of the term
cloud ceiling height did in fact mean the altitude of the
visible bottom of the cloud deck), if there was indeed more
than one layer, and again that number, for near midnight
March 26th/March 27th, came directly from the NWS. The
cloud deck itself seemed to be pretty homogenous, so I doubt
that even though I was 30 miles away from where the
meteorite impacted, that there would be a huge difference in
the cloud ceiling height.

Mike,

All I can tell you is what I saw, and what I was told by the
NWS. There was no mistaking what I saw as far as the meteor
is concerned (I'm an amateur astronomer, so seeing a meteor
is not something new to me) - it was most definitely below
the cloud deck when I saw it extinguish. I did see the
light filtering through the clouds prior to seeing the
fireball itself, and in fact, the way the light was
concentrating toward the south as it filtered through the
clouds is what attracted my attention in that direction,
which allowed me to see the fireball as it came below the
cloud cover.

Regards,

Dave Johnson

----- Original Message Follows -----