[meteorite-list] Campo del Cielo meteorites

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:38 2004

Dr. Buono,
I have to agree that your plea for assistance is justified.
Thieves that stole a 6,000 kilo meteorite (13.2 tons) on April9/10 and
left a concrete replica are no ordinary thieves!
The Argentine police are probably no match for this type of criminal.
http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/_images/dizzy.jpg
The first thing is to look for is a disguised meteorite traveling out of
the country!
(Distribute pictures of the concrete replica)
Have any pickup trucks crossed the border with unusually large produce?
A gigantic ear of corn or humongus squash or monster cucumber, etc.?
Or they might try a sign saying "13 ton ordinary rock."
(Or perhaps the concrete replica is just a shell covering the real
meteorite until the 'heat dies down') WOW!
(perhaps it would be a good idea to check on large purchases of concrete
made before the theft)
I can understand the memory of this plagues you, because it is so
embarrassing but you are right to ask for help.
You should not feel ashamed that your government cares so little that
they leave these national treasures lying unprotected in a field.
Do not feel bad that your university did not take the initiative to get
permission to display this meteorite in a protective environment.
I understand that it IS easier to blame others who are actually
protecting and enhancing the meteoritic community rather than yourself.
UPDATE: This just in - a pict of three suspicious characters:
http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/_images/loco.jpg
Do these guys look like persons you've seen recently????
sincerely,
ken newton