[meteorite-list] NP Article, 07-1896 Meteorite Kills Children, Brings Rain

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:40 2004

Hello, Mike, Mark and the list,

to me it sounds a legend, no people has been killed by meteorites.

Maybe the keyword is "reported". In earlier history you can find
several cases, like 1829, July, US, an indian killed (Athenm 1836,
p. 803).

I have tried to find information about some old finnish falls, and in
fact the old newspapers are the best and in some cases the only way
to find this data. So I wonder, who was the first, who said, there
are no reported cases of people being hit / killed by a meteorite,
but he / she must have a crystal-ball or unhuman knowledge about
the history. In this case we can naturally ask the meaning for the
word "reported". If somebody was hit by Nantan, to whom the
report should have been sent, to this list or to NC? I should count
the old articles in some cases as "reports", because they are in older
falls many times the only printed / writen documents of the case.

No one knows the victims of the big older falls, like Nantan, and
if we count also Tunguska as a hit, only dead reindeers was reported,
but I can bet, also people were died, but in these cases the russians
didnīt give / get the information. The circumstances in many areas
were / are a kind, you canīt get a relaible report. And ok, Tunguska
was not a meteorite, propably a "dirty snowball"...

The cataloque of aerolites and bolides covers A.D. 2 to A.D. 1860,
so there is no information about just this case in this database.

Just my 2 cents again...;-

take care,

pekka

--