[meteorite-list] NP Article, 07-1896 Meteorite Kills Children, Brings Rain

From: Philip R. Burns <pib_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:40 2004

At 05:16 AM 6/18/2003 +0300, you wrote:
>No one knows the victims of the big older falls, like Nantan, and
>if we count also Tunguska as a hit, only dead reindeers was reported,
>but I can bet, also people were died, but in these cases the russians
>didn=B4t give / get the information. The circumstances in many areas
>were / are a kind, you can=B4t get a relaible report. And ok, Tunguska
>was not a meteorite, propably a "dirty snowball"...

In the case of Tunguska, we know two people died as a result of the impact=
=20
(and many more were injured). Vasiliy son of Okhchen died from wounds=20
sustained after being hurled against a tree by the blast, and the aged=20
hunter Lyuburman of Shanyagir died from shock (probably cardiac arrest).

The Chinese recorded several instances of multiple deaths by meteorite=20
impact. See:

Yau, K., P. Weissman, and D. Yeomans. "Meteorite Falls in China and Some=20
Related Human Casualty Events." Meteoritics v. 29, pp. 864-871.

The "big one" they list is a meteorite shower of 1490 in Shansi province=20
which purportedly killed thousands of people.

-- Philip R. "Pib" Burns
    pib_at_pibburns.com
    http://www.pibburns.com/