[meteorite-list] Need help naming new group

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:41 2004

Hi,

    Not to be overly picky (ha!), but the chances that HED meteorites come
directly from Vesta itself is very small. The orbital mechanics of getting a
chunk from Vesta into an Earth-intersecting orbit are of such a very low
probability that it is virtually impossible that the continuing rain of HED
meteorites could have come directly from Vesta.
    However, there are a number of asteroidal bodies much small than Vesta which
occupy intermediate orbits in the Vesta family from which pieces could be
knocked off which chunks could make it to Earth much more easily. McSween's book
has a good section on them. He calls them the "Vestoids." They appear to be
large "left-overs" from long ago major impacts on Vesta. (We know Vesta has to
have been walloped heavily because so many parts of its internal structure have
been exposed and even removed.)
    It is much more likely that this ancient large impact rubble (the Vestoids)
is the source of the HED's that arrive on Earth. Of course, if we are going
ultimately to a nomenclature that is based on the actual source body for
meteorites, this would mean that the term might end up being "Vestoid
peridotite!"

Sterling K. Webb