[meteorite-list] usps insurance is fraud

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:41 2004

Hi,

    About 300 packages sent and received in the last two years. Never
had one lost. In receiving, USPS dropped a carton with a vintage guitar
and cracked the body. They paid $50.00 to have it repaired (I did
myself). And yes, they do evaluate the packaging to see if it was
adequate. Why should they pay for, say, someone who shipped a
blown-glass swan in a paper bag with no padding?
    UPS dropped a carton containing a computer so hard that one of the
hard drives came off its mounts and shot down through the case ripping
things up as it went. They paid an amount equal to 25% of the purchase
price after about a week's negotiation. Since UPS had packed the
computer for the shipper it was impossible to pass the buck on that one.

    Yes, both are picky and have lots of forms to be completed, but the
system does seems to work.
    In shipping, I've had one item broken. The buyer was compensated for
the full value of the item and the USPS took the broken item. This is
usual for cases of total loss in the insurance trade. If it's a total
loss, there should be no value remaining. I once had a car totalled out
in insurance; I wanted to pick parts off the carcase and the insurance
company made me buy the wreck back from them for $200.
    If you want your package to be treated with the full dignity you
think it deserves and would rather it was treated right in the first
place, REGISTER it. Registered mail is the personal responsibility of
each individual who handles it until they can hand it off to somebody
else who will sign for it and get them off the hook! It's your best
protection.

Sterling K. Webb