[meteorite-list] Meteorite Cane

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:44 2004

Hi Pierre,
        Like most tools, one uses it with some degree of discretion. I
learned about it from Steve Schoner, one of the greatest hunters
ever. I first used one with him in an L/LL strewn field and he, at least,
did so with excellent results. So, at least some people consider it
to be of some use.
    Of course, I do not suggest attempting to use a screw driver to
hammer nails, but that does not make a screw driver useless.
        Michael

on 3/3/03 7:45 AM, rochette at rochette_at_cerege.fr wrote:

> Besides if you collect only
> rocks sticking to your "cane" you will get slags but leave on the ground
> almost all rarities: rumurutites, angrites, eucrites,diogenite, howardite,
> martian, lunars, even some LL and CV. If you try to increase magnet power
> to compensate, you may collect terrestrial basalts. So what's the use of
> it, unless you know you are in a L or H strewfield???
>

> Pierre

Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain
Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
...Thomas Jefferson
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satelite: