[meteorite-list] Rock-Picking Farmer Finds $1 Million Meteorite In

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:44 2004

Ya,
        But this dude will want this micromount price per gram for the
WHOLE STONE. This is like taking a kilo of pot and saying you busted a
dealer with a million dollars of dope, because, if you sell it by the
joint.....
        So, of course, no one will ever consider paying retail for the whole
mass.
        This head set has permeated the country - interesting in light of
the DOWNTURN of the market since flooding of NWA material. A lot
of farmers are going to be taking a lot of material to the grave with
them.
        Thanks for the info, Martin.
        Best wishes, Michael

on 3/3/03 12:06 PM, Martin Horejsi at martinh_at_isu.edu wrote:

> Ron kindly suggested:
>
>> I'm curious as to what type it is as well. Both articles didn't say.
>> It looks to be either an iron or stony-iron. Because it is being
>> touted as a one-of-a-kind meteorites. I would guess it is in
>> the stony-iron class.
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> The rock in the article is the Milton Pallasite that I wrote about in
> Meteorite Magazine in the May 2002 issue.
>
> Milton is a unique pallasite that appears to be somewhere between the main
> group pallasites and the Eagle Station pallasites but not directly on the
> line between them. There are also some interesting chemical similarities
> between Milton and carbonaceous chondrites.
>
> Milton is likely material from an asteroid as yet unrepresented in our
> collections.
>
> Given the price of Eagle Station, the $500/g figure is not quite so
> surprising.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin

Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain
Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
...Thomas Jefferson
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satelite: