[meteorite-list] Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko Identifed As New Target For Rosetta

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:46 2004

New target for comet-chasing mission identified
Will Knight
New Scientist
March 3, 2003

The new target for the Rosetta comet-chasing mission has been
identified, New Scientist can reveal.

The European Space Agency (ESA) said at the time that it would delay
the mission by two and a half years at most. Now, following months of
calculations, the only target that can be reached within that timescale has
emerged as 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko - nicknamed "Chury".

"In the time span to mid-2005 there is nothing else," Gerhard Schwem,
head of science for the Rosetta mission told New Scientist. "We are
pretty confident with the studies we have done that going to
Churyumov-Gerasimenko will be possible."

Full story here: